Monday 12 December 2011

Gravy Pud Fell Race 4/11


It was undeniably grim yesterday. We left home early to visit Gill's mum and for me to escape to go and run the imaginitively-titled NorthernBoysLoveGravy Gravy Pud Fell Race

.
I had planned the trip to th 'Nth' degree, even going on to Google streetview to see what the road turns looked like, where the best place was for car parking etc.
This wasn't really the issue, the issue was the weather. As we approached Stockport it began to rain a little, the nearer to Tintwistle I got, the lower the temperature was and the more the rain intensified. It went dark, and the warning signs indicating whether it was safe to use the Woodhead Pass looked like they were twitching into action. I parked up safely near the village hall which was very small an
d had more of a hint of a caravan about it. I sent a text to some friends which had more than a hint of a last will & testament about it.
All the time, rain poured off the slate roofs and ran down the m
ain street. Oh, well, I'd better find the pub then.
The pub was a very pleasant little place, just off a green space/war memorial which on a summer's day would have been very lovely. But on a day like today, well I just wanted to get inside. Every one was very friendly inside, they had the fire going etc. Top stuff! There were the day's papers to have a browse through and in the corner one intrepid runner was carbo loading with a pint before the race. Which is a bit 'ard.
To the race. The start (and finish) was along a cobbled lane which took us out onto the moor. Once upon the moor there was a sharp climb on a trail and then a drop to a narrow wooded bridge. This was not good, as not having local knowledge and being a bit of a girl I lost about 20 places cos I didn't cut the corner. Grr.

I made a few back on the climb away from the stream, and normal order was resumed until the real big climb of the day which was a hands & knees scramble up to a little cairn(Lees Hill). By this time it was hailing into the rain and stinging every part of the body not covered by cloth, and even some that was.
On the grass was a sparse covering of - yes - snow. Eek! Over the top we go - and a long, fast descent which wasn't as quick as it should have been, because of the deep slippy mud that was fast becoming a feature of the run. But I got going ok, and didn't lose any places. Yet more climb, then a patch though some trees and deep, deep water puddles/mud as we dropped down to the reservoir. I was going really well here and reeled a few in. I steeled myself for the inevitable collapse as we climbed back up to the start lane but found that once I was up the climb, though the taps were full on, I was able to maintain it all the way to the finish. Not a brilliant finish position - but I'm sure the performance is a considerable improvement on recent showings. It felt good and strong.
This was a brilliant race. My only regret is not stopping for a pint, but as hypothermia was a real prospect, it was a quick jog back to the car and true warmth :)

No comments:

Post a Comment