Sunday 1 July 2012

Things to do when you're not running

I was looking on the internet for 'weird sports pictures'. Don't ask why. But anyway this one made me laugh.

Injury Corner
I have got a sore knee. In fact, it's been sore since the last big run a few days ago. What really made a bad situation much worse though was cycling to-and-from Shrewsbury on Tuesday.
The tendons at the top of the knee are revolting, the knee itself is behaving like an Austin Allegro having been yanked into a handbrake turn, and if you bend it on to a certain spot, OOOUUUUUCCCCH. I think I need some of the magic mushrooms, maaan. So I'm in a strange netherworld, now. If I was a proper athlete, I would be up at the expensive physios and all activity would be suspended until I can return to peak performance level.
But as I'm just an average bloke who likes running, and because there is an attractive event coming up Next Week, and because I have done some training - not much, but enough to get round, I'm still pondering whether or not I toe the line at the Over the Edge Marathon. Give it till Tuesday and then we shall see. Present odds - 70% chance I won't be there.
The Gym
I decided I needed to work on those other parts of my body, so I joined the local council gym scheme. I was partly seduced by the fact that all the gym equipment is brand new, and after having made a few enquiries it seemed like a good deal. So off I trotted on Thursday to seal the deal, and on Friday I pitched up for my first session. Having gingerly eased my way into the gym I went first of all for the familiar option; the running machine. I fired it up, and set off without understanding the calibration, due to my clunky leg I didn't seem to be going very fast and in fact I wasn't - somewhere around 10kph, plus I could see how badly I was running in a full-length mirror. Oh, dear, that wasn't good at all. After I while I decided I was warmed up, so switched to the bikes. These had the advantage that I could tinker with the TV buttons and so completed 5km while watching Ninja Warrior. After the bike I progressed to an old favourite, the indoor rower, where I knocked out a couple of fairly easy 500m reps. I'm not aerobically unfit, it's just my flipping leg. To the weights!! I tried all the weightstations, kept the weight low as per previous knowledge and managed to get out in one piece BUT two days later the Abductor/Adductor machine seems to have taken it's toll.
In Ercall Stompers news, no plans as yet to get the numbers out for a run. Current plans include the Cat & Fiddle cycle Sportive in October and the Little Stretton - Stiperstones Time trial in November. But there must be more, we can't waste this Summer !!

No comments:

Post a Comment