Sunday 22 April 2012

bluebells and running

Bluebells feature in this weekends running post. I love bluebells, they seem like the quiet angelic blue carpet of the Spring flower world, they sneak up on you, they are no-where to be seen and bam! suddenly they are everywhere - but only in those quiet, out-of-the way places which they happily share with you and your thoughts. The bluebells in this picture are on the Wrekin hill (not my picture sadly, but I know exactly where it is and yes, this hasn't been photoshopped). I decided to begin training properly again, it's been long enough after the Exe to Axe and though the holiday was lovely, after a while you need the feeling of moving along the road and paths (and hills, yes, etc etc). Goodness knows what i'll do when it's time to pack it all in, but I suppose I'll know its the right time so that will be fine. So with a spring in my step I set out for a 10-ish tour of the local countryside in bright Spring sunshine. It was so warm, I soon stripped down to my vest top at the Bluebell crossroads (like what I did there?)and i found myself putting extra on to the end of the run to take it over 10 miles, I was enjoying it so much. I quite like the idea of making it up as i go along. 10 miles in the weekend bank, and I gave up some essential VLM viewing to go on the slopes of the Ercall and path round the Wrekin on Sunday with my good friends. Apart from jarring my knee again, it was a lovely run, great that the mud is back and that the bluebells are out in force (but not as magnificent as 2011). 17.5 this weekend, mojo intact, scouring the websites for races. Normal service resumed. Next race may be the Wrekin Streak though I will have to see how the knee is before committing to this brutal little thing. Happy times.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Alan. I well remember the bluebell woods on the Wrekin. Enjoy them while they last.
    We have one or two here right now, but the colder weather of late has meant they haven't yet flourished. They surround the house once they do and it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete