Monday 14 May 2012

from the pen of Imelda

The recent trouble I had with my splooshily new Innov8 shoes left me thinking about running shoes in general.
They're too dear, we should run barefoot. Except we can't run barefoot because the roads hurt our feet. And not all of us can run barefoot anyway. There, that's my contribution to the great shoe debate. Moving swiftly on (as we must) the Innov8 are the latest in a long line of lamentable off roaders I've had in my time. I began with a pair of Hi-Tec somethings, which were like the old Silver Shadows with what felt like fitted crossplys. They were a bit rubbish but I managed to donate them to Wilko who never throws anything away and so probably still has them somewhere. I was then talked into buying a pair of ETA racers, "because they are in the sale" from Bourne Sports. I remember these as being made of cardboard with felt uppers, though I was able to get a few good multi terrain runs out of them before they fell apart. Bourne Sports was also the scene of the next shoe crime, the "Felldancer". It looked the part, it had some tough old studs but boy was it a hard shoe to wear, there wasn't much flexibility in there and after a fell race your feet felt like tinned meat. I began to look adulterously for something else and stopped off briefly at the Saucony Jazz Grid trail. Great shoe - until you wanted to run through any wet mud. Sort of ruins the whole point, really! I did acquire a pair of Walshes for a tenner from TK MAXX - they were white and blue but otherwise ok, they were without doubt the best shoe to date. It was just those colours though! Having not had enough foot misery, I then tried the 'shoe of the moment' the Adidas Swoop. Looked and felt the part, except I kept slipping in them and even worse, my feet were quickly blistered to youknowwhat. Agh. I decided to bite the bullet and so handed over readies to Mr Walsh for some of his finest PB trainers. I bloody loved those shoes, they took me up hill and down dale. Eventually they went to shoe Valhalla after a particularly tough and muddy Leek cross country. I was happy to fork out for a replacement pair though which saw me through another couple of seasons. After a while though those little studs became even littler and by Dec '11 i was a slipping and a-sliding all over the hills. I looked around and spotted the rise of Innov8. Worth a go? seemed a bit dear, but when I got them out of the box my gaze was immediately drawn to the crampons - sorry - studs on the bottom. To date - one race, and one blistered heel.

No comments:

Post a Comment