Thursday 3 May 2012

Sheinton Steeplechase

Sheinton, near Cressage, has a strange name, was mentioned in the Doomsday book, and has a really stiff road climb (if you're on a bike that is) going through it. That has probably exhausted my knowledge of the place, sorry. It is, however, pretty damn pretty. Anyhow, they put on a race there every so often. I thought it was every year, but there have been gaps. I had a trip out there, and for the princely sum of £5.00, you get an old-school paper number (..glad it wasn't raining) and a lovely tour of the local countryside. This was a 3 1/2 -ish mile trip round local farm tracks, through fields, someone's garden (we were warned), alongside streams,
through the obligatory water splash (pic thanks Al Tye) and over several stiles before meandering through the woods, across even more stiles, over even more fields and finally spilling out on to a track... near a road.. near the finish. It was quite a tough and muddy little cross-country run, as all the best ones should be. I have no idea how well things went for me, but I came away feeling slightly disappointed with my efforts. On to the next one..

No comments:

Post a Comment