Friday 24 August 2012

me. marathon runner. lapsed.


Why did I enter the London Marathon Ballot? What was I thinking?
I looked at some race training schedules today and to be honest, I was scared and baffled all at the same time. In years gone by (aka “the Golden Age”) I wouldn’t have looked at anything like that, I would have just gone and bashed out the miles, and well, the results are there for all to see. And laugh at.
But now I’m older, and presumably wiser. And I’m well out of the game, too. Recent efforts to train for the Wenlock Marathon aggravated some long-term injuries which I’m only just getting over. The memory of my sitting at the roadside with 3 miles still to go, holding back the tears of pain, on my last long training run will live long, although I now think it’s “funny” and “character building”.
So how the hell to I get from where I am now to, where I would like to be? Some realism is called for here. In my head, I still have the potential to run under 3 hours. My body though would probably give another opinion, if asked. I looked at one sub-3 schedule and it said “race 5km, 18.45/ run 3 miles in 18 minutes” in week 1. Hmm. It’s been a while since I ran sub-20, never mind a sub-19 (see my ‘training diary’ post earlier, that will tell you).
On the one hand, even if I manage anything like the training I did before, then surely I will get the same results ..at best. I’m probably better aiming for the Good For Age time of 3.15. But in my defence M’lud,  I can run quicker than sub-3 pace (6.50)…but just not for 26.2 miles.
The theory goes, it’s just the stamina that needs building up, so we can maintain the speedy pace over a longer distance. Yes? We’ll see. I am clearly barking mad. And delusional. Only an outright rejection by Virgin London Marathon is going to save me. And I’ve got a feeling that ain’t coming this time..
And while I’m on. This GFA (Good for Age) malarkey is a load of tosh. If I was a lady, all I would have to do is to run sub-4.00. But as I’m not, it’s sub 3.15. That is the standard for everyone from the age of 41, up to the age of 59. This seems an extremely harsh call by VLM, no doubt it’s an attempt to keep as many extremely un-photogenic 50-somethings in varying states of undress and distress off the streets of London as possible. And for that, I suppose, we should all be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment