Friday 31 August 2012

wimmin

Tri training has begun - Swimming at the local pool.
Now, I have to say that in previous years I HATED swimming. I would never go swimming on its own, I only do swimming as part of Triathlon "training".
"Training" is a loose term I use to describe the struggle to complete 400 metres of so in a pool before hauling myself out and getting on the bike.
Before taking on my first Triathlon (2004) I could hardly swim at all, but somehow over a few years, I acquired enough skill to tough it out. Amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it.
So, I checked the old diary and found that I hadn't been 'proper' swimming since 2008. Lounging around in the pool in Cyprus doesn't count, mate.

Hopes weren't high for yesterday's debut session. Just keep going, try not to look too much of a prat and when you need a rest, take a rest. My advice to myself.
But it actually turned out ok. I was slow, but after a fashion I completed enough lengths and I hadn't stopped midlength gasping for air or spluttering as per normal. I did have a funny moment where I dived to retrieve a ring which turned out to be a cracked tile though, but that's what getting cheap goggles does for you :-)
It was so good, I went back THE NEXT day. As both of these sessions were 7am this made it even more impressive. In session 2, I was able to complete the 400m without stopping and in fact I did another block of 400m. I really enjoyed the swim, too. It wasn't quick but who cares? Now I know I'll get round the triathlon in one piece :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment