Tuesday 30 October 2012

Book Review

Eat & Run
Scott Jurek.
This book stayed in my rucksack, unopened, for two weeks after I had bought it(!). This is usually the mark of something I don't want to read. Oh-oh...
I was wrong though. It's a good read.
Scott is a vegan ultramarathon runner. His mum had MS, as does Mrs J, so it got off on the right foot with me, triumph over adversity, that sort of thing. Scott had a hard upbringing, making him into a tough runner. The book covers a lot of his races, including 'the other side' of the Copper Canyon race made famous in 'Born to Run'. I particularly enjoyed this bit, it was nice to get his perspective.
At the end of each chapter, Scott provides us with his own recipes. Part of me bought the book to see what if anything I could make. Sadly, I'm a bit confused, I don't know half of the ingredients, nor do I have any idea where I might get them from !!
If anything, Scott under sells his book. He is clearly a talented runner but perhaps he's so good he can't always stand back and articulate just what he has gone through. In some passages though, such as his Badwater marathon, it is very graphic and you can imagine yourself there (if that was at all possible).

Scores on the doors - 7/10. Would recommend it. Not quite as 'In Yer Face' as Dean Karnazes.


No comments:

Post a Comment