Monday 10 December 2012

Favourite Runs - 1-10

Dave told us he had a list of his favourite runs. That set me thinking. In 20 years I've done a lot of races, been to some places, met some faces.
That sounds a bit like a song...
...Anyhow, in putting the list together I umm'ed & arr'ed and some came in some came out, I know I'll never come up with the same list on two consecutive days.
So, here goes, 1 -10. No Particular order - no way could I rate them individually!!


Rivington Pike
Iconic 3.5 mile fell race from a pub in Horwich. 400 people did this on the 50th Open Year Anniversary. Me too! It's just up, round the top, and brakes off, brain out to the bottom, with 400m or so on the flat to finish.

Trentham 10
Have done this a few times. It's a two-lap road race with a monster hill in it. It's usually on one of the hottest days of the year. Good atmosphere from the village of Tittensor. Titter ye not.

World Masters Fell Championship
My “..and England” moment. In 2005 I travelled up to Keswick for the WM Championship. I got to rub shoulders with some of the great & good, and though I wasn't at my best, I wasn't last. Fairly tough climb up & down Skiddaw though no technical descents were involved.

Buxton Half Marathon
Tough race; first time out it was on a Saturday night. Steep climb up Axe Edge followed by a steep drop, then a climb, then a longer descent back to Buxton. Stunning scenery.

Colmore Scamper 6 mile road race, Bridgnorth
6th place – my highest finish. What a hard, hilly race this was. It was all descents and climbs - with the toughest being in the last mile which was a climb back into the town. Pub afterwards was always nice!



Belmont Winter Hill Fell Race
Done this one twice. Classic little Northern Fell race, with a small fayre in the village, welcoming pub etc. The race comprises a couple of tough climbs and then some bog-trotting with real bogs.

Welsh Castles Leg 7
Leg 7 of the WCR from Dolgellau to Dinas Mawddwy is one big mountain. Spectacular - and once over the top of Dinas, there is still such a lot left to do before you get to the village. Had a top run there once!

The Grizzly
Because it's one of the few races that has completely floored me. Upon completing my first Grizzly I was so exhausted. Tough run, especially that beach bit and also the slurry bits.

Wrekin 10 mile road race
Much-missed classic of yesteryear. Snaking climb, good descent, then you just hang on. And that bit round by the farm never seems to end. Finished 11th one year - and passed out another year - and failed to complete another year. It was always feast or famine.

Race The Train
Deceptively tough. Great going out...so hard on your way back. Have taken a few tumbles in my time... and I was so close to beating the train. Loved the atmosphere and the trip to the ice-cream factory afterwards.

11-20 are in the next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment