Monday 3 December 2012

In the gloom and the dark.

Well, I'm Back outside. 2 painful miles at sunset. Leaving aside the pain issue, what did this first outing for some weeks teach me?
I turned onto the disused railway line in the darkening gloom. Agh! no lights. I had no headtorch either. No worries, I'll be walking in a minute anyway. It was dark, but not cold. There were puddles across the path. I don't remember all that much rain? Careful now, mind the tree roots across the path (at the speed I was going, the chances of a fall were pretty slim).
The darkness creeps up. All I can see is the last knockings of daylight on my right. All I can hear are a few birds, the babble of the brook, the farmer locking up his metal gate for the night, and spot on time, the 5.00 train from Shrewsbury clanging along. All I can smell is the sweet smell of gently rotting leaves, damp wood, wet grass and woodsmoke somewhere over there on the left. I like this, I like this a lot. Pretty soon I'm back on the road into town, soon I'm back dodging the cars and the cyclist with no lights on. Soon, I'm home. But on the whole, I'm feeling ok. I'll have a go at this again.

1 comment:

  1. A perfect wee jaunt by the sounds of it. Nowt like allowing your other senses to take over and be stimulated. Love the comment about the train as well, there's something very reassuring about hearing a train go by and knowing exactly what time it is. Keep it going Alan and enjoy yourself.

    ReplyDelete